What We Do
Top of Georgia Hiking Center is located on a very beautiful and unique parcel of land completely surrounded by US Forest Service lands and located directly on the main road (US Hwy 76) that intersects with the Appalachian Trail (Dicks Creek Gap). It's only a 1/2-mile short walk west of the trail (northbound AT hikers turn left / south bounders turn right - a large street sign at Dicks Creek Gap, GA - Northbound mile 69.0 of the Appalachian Trail points the way).
The complex is surrounded by rocking chair porches - including our back porch to a beautiful view! We are PET FRIENDLY and OFFER A 4 BUNK / 4 DOGBED SEPERATE SUITE FOR PETS & THEIR OWNERS CALLED THE WOLFDEN.
The main building is "Hightower House." It's our communal center comprised of a mess hall, fireplace, TV, computer/internet center, and "Top of Georgia Outfitters" - a full service gear shop selling fuels, resupply and specialty backpacking gear. A second building is comprised of "Yahoola Cottage" (which has its own full kitchen and the majority of the bunks in 3 rooms) and the "Wolfden".
- An economical hiker hostel in the true Appalachian Trail spirit!
- FREE all-you-can-eat cereal breakfast with your stay
- FREE shuttles to / from Dicks Creek Gap and Unicoi Gap with your stay
- FREE shuttle to / from town of Hiawassee, GA with your stay (times posted daily)
- We have BOTH bunk rooms and private cabins
- Full service gear and re-supply shop only 1/2 mile walk from the Appalachian Trail
- We accept your boxes shipped ahead
- Interesting seminars and events held every day
- Appalachian Trail School held twice each month FREE OF CHARGE
- Cyclist base camp along the route of the TNGA
- We are a FUN & ECONOMICAL “Summer Camp for Adults" alternative to a hotel!
- We can book parties as large as 26 for any event.
- A bunk and a shower are only $30 - which includes a free continental breakfast in the morning.